Over the past decade, the popularity of essential oils has been on the rise. Few oils have as many beneficial uses as peppermint oil. This popular oil can be taken internally or applied to the skin, making it extremely versatile. Here are some of the most unique and creative ways that you can use this amazing oil in your day-to-day life:
- Suppress your appetite. If you are trying to cut back on eating, peppermint essential oil can help. All that you need to do is put a few drops of this powerful oil in a diffuser near where you eat. The smell of peppermint will help minimize your appetite, keeping you from overeating.
- Keep bugs at bay. Insects are naturally repelled by the smell of peppermint. You can make your own homemade bug spray by adding a few drops of this oil to distilled water. To use the solution, simply spray the oil on your skin before you go outside. You can also use peppermint scented oil to keep insects out of unwanted areas in your home. For instance, spraying peppermint oil around any door openings, window frames, or other penetrations to the outdoors can help keep insects and rodents from entering your home.
- Relieve pain from sunburns. Spraying a mixture of peppermint essential oil and water on your skin can provide cooling relief after a sunburn. Along with making the skin feel cooler, the peppermint will also help reduce pain and inflammation.
- Minimize the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Studies have shown that taking capsules filled with peppermint oil can significantly reduce IBS symptoms. However, if you suffer from acid reflux, you should be aware that peppermint may make your reflux worse. Depending on how serious your IBS symptoms are, it still may be worth a try to see how your body responds. As with any natural remedy, always check with your doctor before giving it a try to make sure that it will be safe for you.
- Relieve nausea. The smell of peppermint can help eliminate nausea. You can either diffuse the oil into the air or rub it on your skin to see results. Just remember, any time you apply essential oil to your skin, you should first dilute it using a carrier oil such as almond oil, coconut oil, or jojoba oil. Otherwise, the oil may be too strong and could burn your skin or cause irritation.
To get the best results, be sure to purchase a high-quality, natural oil from a reputable retailer such as Well.ca. The oil itself should be 100% pure to get the best results. For instance, the NOW peppermint essential oil that is sold on the Well.ca site has been tested to verify its purity. By sticking with well-known brands from high-quality stores, you can rest easy knowing that the oil you are purchasing is the highest quality on the market. This, in turn, can help ensure that you get the results that you want when you use it.